Boiling Springs Wastewater Collection Maintenance Worker
Apply online at: https://www.boilingspringsnc.net/171/Join-Our-Team
Performs general maintenance and unskilled to semi-skilled work related to the operation of water and wastewater utility systems.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK
An employee in this class assists the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators with a variety of tasks around the wastewater treatment plant as well as at the lift stations. The employee is primarily responsible for mowing, trimming, removing limbs, clearing trees, and other grounds maintenance work along the 30 miles of sewer lines and outfalls in Boiling Springs and Lattimore. The employee also may assist in checking and testing lift station generators and floats and performing preventive maintenance at the stations; ensuring the lift stations are operating properly; collecting water samples at the wastewater treatment plant; reading the meter in Lattimore for volume and flow; opening and closing valves; making sewer taps and sewer line repairs; digging trenches; jetting, using the camera, and smoking sewer lines; applying sludge at the land application field utilizing the sludge truck; performing grounds maintenance at the land application field; greasing pumps; repairing manholes and resetting rings or raising them due to concrete failure; and performing equipment maintenance and minor repair on equipment used in the work. The employee is subject to the hazards of utility work including working in outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to noise, vibration, moving mechanical parts, atmospheric conditions, oils, skin irritants, and narrow passageways. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and other biological hazards and may be required to wear personal protective equipment. Work is performed under the supervision of the Public Works Director or the Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor (ORC).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS
• Performs general maintenance tasks related to the sewer treatment plant, sewer collection system, and water distribution system; regularly checks for proper operation and performs preventive maintenance at the sewer lift stations.
• Locates sewer lines for NC811 tickets.
• Monitors Asset Essentials for work orders assigned to the wastewater collection maintenance worker. • Operates tractors, mowers, weed eaters, blowers, bush hogs, and similar equipment in the maintenance of grounds and utility easements and rights-of-way.
• Operates the sludge truck to transport sludge from the plant to the land application field; land applies the sludge onto the field.
• Uses chain saws, shovels, hand tools, and other implements.
• Assists with making water and sewer service taps, installing meter boxes, checking repairing water and sewer lines, valves, sewer manholes, and other utility infrastructure.
• Assists with reading meters, cutting customers services on and off, locating leaks.
• Drives pickup trucks, dump trucks, and other vehicles and equipment.
• Performs custodial and grounds maintenance work around the treatment plant and office.
• Position is scheduled for on-call and call-back work.
• Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Some knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment utilized in grounds maintenance work and skill in the use of hand and portable power tools.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
• Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to operations of motorized equipment.
• Ability to quickly gain general knowledge of the maintenance requirements of the Town’s water and sewer utilities.
• Ability to read meters and charts accurately and perform data entry.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, supervisors, and other employees.
• Ability to deal courteously with the general public.
• Ability to use tools and operate construction and maintenance equipment with skill and safely.
• Ability to prepare simple written records of work activities.
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and perform repetitive motions.
• Must be able to perform heavy work of exerting up to one hundred pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to fifty (50) pounds of force frequently, and/or up to twenty (20) pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Must possess the visual acuity to perform semi-skilled and unskilled maintenance work, to operate vehicles and equipment, to use a variety of hand and power tools, including
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High school graduation; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS • Possession of a valid North Carolina Class B CDL Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within six months of employment.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : General